Nigeria’s Boko Haram group admits that it was behind the recent abduction of over two hundred school girls in the troubled northeastern state of Borno. Boko Haram is well known for its service to the Nigerian Government by the terror acts that lead up to the legality for Nigerian Government’s attack towards muslims there.
The leader of the group appeared in a new video claiming responsibility for the abduction of girls from their school in the northeastern town of Chibok in mid-April.
“I abducted your girls,” Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, said in the video obtained by some media outlets.
This comes as the relatives of the girls have been criticizing the Nigerian government for not doing enough to rescue their loved ones.
Faced with mounting criticism, the Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has pledged to help release the school girls.
“We promise that anywhere the girls are, we will surely get them out,” Jonathan told Nigerian media on Sunday, adding, “This is a trying time for this country…. It is painful.”
The Nigerian president noted that his administration was seeking help from foreign states, including the US, France, Britain and China on the country’s security matters, stressing that Nigerians are “justified if they expressed their anger against government.”
Tensions are growing since 276 girls were kidnapped from their school in Chibok on April 14.
Officials say 53 of the girls have managed to escape but 223 are still being held.
Several regions of Nigeria have been hit by deadly violence in recent months.
According to the UK-based rights group, Amnesty International, at least 1,500 people have been killed so far this year across Nigeria.