A vacant Egyptian military office in the Sinai Peninsula has been the target of a bomb explosion attack, a security official says.
The official said on Wednesday that suspected militants most likely linked to al-Qaeda, had planted a bomb in the empty military intelligence building in the town of Rafah.
The official added that the office in the town bordering the Palestinian Gaza Strip had been vacant since July.
The attack comes days after a similar bomb blast hit a security headquarters building in the southern Sinai city of al-Tour.
On October 7, gunmen opened fire on soldiers patrolling an area north of the Suez Canal city.
Over the past few days, nearly 60 people have been killed across Egypt.
Dozens of soldiers and policemen have lost their lives on a daily basis as security forces have been the target of attacks in Sinai in recent weeks.
Egypt has been experiencing unrelenting violence since July 3, when the army ousted President Mohamed Morsi, suspended the constitution, and dissolved the parliament. It also appointed the head of the Supreme Constitutional Court, Adly Mahmoud Mansour, as the new interim president.
The government of Mansour has launched a bloody crackdown on Morsi supporters and arrested more than 2,000 Brotherhood members, including the party’s leader, Mohamed Badie, who was detained on August 20.
About 1,000 people were killed in a week of violence between Morsi supporters and security forces after police dispersed their protest camps in a deadly operation on August 14.