Commander of Iran’s Border Guard Force General Hossein Zolfaqari confirmed that 14 border guards have been killed in clashes with terrorists in the Southeastern province of Sistan and Baluchestan early Saturday morning, but meantime rejected some media reports alleging that some of his troops have been abducted by the invaders.
Some media reports claimed earlier today that several border guards had also been abducted by the terrorists before they fled into Pakistan.
“No border guard has been abducted in this incident,” General Zolfaqari told FNA on Saturday.
“Eight brave border guards have been martyred in clashes with the outlaws early this morning,” General Zolfaqari said, adding, “Six other border guards were also wounded and died of injuries.”
Informed source had told FNA earlier on Saturday that 14 border guards have been killed in the clashes in Saravan border region, while Saravan’s deputy at the Parliament Hedayatollah Mir-Moradzehi put the number at 17.
Sistan and Baluchestan’s Deputy Governor-General Rajabali Sheikhzadeh said that the outlaws fled to Pakistan immediately after the clashes.
He said that there is no information about the casualties of the outlaws.
An armed group named Jeish Al-Adl has claimed responsibility for the attack.