Deputy Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Brigadier General Massoud Jazzayeri underlined that Iran has never tried to appease the big powers, and the US threats to leave the talks cannot push Iran to give concessions to Washington.
“Ever since the establishment of the Islamic Republic of Iran, it has been proven that we are never in the habit of giving concessions to the big powers,” Brigadier General Jazzayeri told reporters on Saturday.
He noted that the West is trying to gain privileges in the ongoing nuclear talks through making excessive demands, and said, “We now have a deterrent power and are capable of defending our country, our borders and the Islamic Revolution, and we will give such a powerful response to any military move that will make the enemy repent its action.”
Earlier today, Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Hassan Firouzabadi underlined that Iran never expected much from the nuclear talks with the world powers.
“It was the US who was interested in the negotiations and Iran seriously took part in the talks to show that it is looking for dialogue and wisdom,” Major General Firouzabadi told reporters.
He reiterated that if the negotiations bear final results the Iranian nation will celebrate it and if not, the people will again celebrate the victory of the country’s firm stance and resistance in the confrontation with the world powers.
“The behaviors of Obama and Kerry signified reaching an agreement (would be possible), but as the (founder of the Islamic Republic) late Imam Khomeini said the US is the Great Satan and we can never rely on it,” Major General Firouzabadi added.
Late on Thursday night, diplomatic sources in Vienna cautioned that the western powers have toughened their stances after the US lost a self-imposed deadline for a deal with Iran and are raising even more demands from the Iranian team.
The source said the western parties to the talks with Iran, specially the US, have in the last few days raised excessive demands beyond earlier agreements, making the road to a draft final nuclear deal even more bumpy.
The source said Iran is determined to clinch a deal and it has shown much flexibility on this path, but the US-led West has been raising excessive demands and shows “fading respect for its earlier agreements with Iran”.
“They have started psychological operations and are playing the blame game to make Iran surrender to their increasing demands or wait to be portrayed as the party to blame for the potential failure of the talks,” the diplomat added.
The source also strongly rejected the allegations made by certain western media outlets that the Iranian team is referring the opposite sides’ proposals or the draft text to Tehran to ask for permission, reiterating that “the Iranian team of negotiators have been vested with full authority to strike a deal on behalf of the Islamic Republic of Iran based on the country’s specified redlines, and does not need to refer anything to Tehran.”
The diplomat strongly warned the western powers’ approach in the last few days “is pushing the talks into a deadlock”.
Earlier on Thursday night, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif left a new post on his Twitter account, saying, “We’re working hard, but not rushed, to get the job done. Mark my words; you can’t change horses in the middle of a stream.”
Minutes later, US Secretary of State John Kerry also appeared in front of the cameras in Vienna, and said, “Despite all the agreements we have made so far, some tough issues have remained unresolved.”
“These issues should be resolved. And tough decisions should be made,” he added, and continued, “We want a deal that stands the test of time.”
Kerry said the negotiations are not open-ended, but he didn’t say how long the talks would last.