The new Egyptian prime minister has postponed the announcement of a new cabinet until next Thursday.
“(Hisham) Qandil said he will announce the final cabinet line up on Thursday,” AFP reported on Saturday, citing the official Egyptian news agency MENA.
The 50-year-old former irrigation minister has been in consultations with candidates since President Mohamed Morsi appointed him to the post of prime minister last week.
The new team will replace another group appointed by the generals of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF), which took power in February 2011 after the Egyptians launched a revolution against the pro-Israeli regime in January, which eventually brought an end to the 30-year dictatorship of former President Hosni Mubarak.
Morsi, who quit the Muslim Brotherhood to become the president, and Prime Minister Qandil will most likely include some ministers who will have the support of the Brotherhood’s election allies.
Qandil has stated that he will pick ministers based on their competence, and says he might include many technocrats in his government.
Under a constitutional declaration issued on June 17, SCAF took control of the state budget and gave itself veto power over a new constitution, diminishing President Morsi’s powers.