The Riyadh government intends to try three Iranians on alleged terrorism charges and another individual for cooperation with Iran’s intelligence ministry, the Saudi media reported.
The news comes as Saudi Arabia has sentenced another Iranian national to 13 years in jail on charges of trying to conduct terrorist attacks in the kingdom during the Hajj rituals. He will be deported after serving his term.
The Saudi media, however, did not elaborate on the venue and date of trial of the four Iranian nationals, or their identity.
The trial of Iranian nationals by Saudi Arabia comes after the kingdom cut its diplomatic ties with Iran in protest at an attack by a group of angry Iranian protesters at its embassy in Tehran.
Saudi Arabia has been pursuing a crisis-escalation policy against Iran during the last week.
The Saudi interior ministry announced on Saturday that it has executed Sheikh Nimr and 46 others. After the news was released, angry Iranian protestors stormed the Saudi embassy.
Angry protesters in Tehran and Mashhad cities held protest rallies in front of the Saudi missions, with a number of protestors storming the embassy in the capital and throwing firecrackers at the building which caused fire.
Police rushed to the scene and dispersed the crowd.
A judiciary official announced on Sunday that the police forces arrested 40 people who had ransacked the Saudi embassy in Tehran last night after Riyadh executed a prominent Muslim cleric.
“40 people who had entered the embassy building have been identified and arrested so far,” Tehran’s Public Prosecutor Abbas Jafari Dolatabadi said.
He underlined that investigations still continue to identify and detain other culprits who entered and damaged a part of the building after hearing reports of execution of Sheikh Nimr by Saudi Arabia on Saturday.
Judiciary officials said four people have also been detained in connection with the Mashhad raid.
Spokesman of Tehran’s Fire Department Jalal Maleki told FNA that the small fire at the Saudi embassy was extinguished very fast, adding that no one was injured in the incident.
He added that the fire damaged some properties at the Saudi mission.
Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hossein Jaber Ansari called for calm, and said there should be no more demonstrations around Saudi diplomatic premises.
He condemned the execution of Sheikh Nimr again, but underlined Tehran’s responsibility for protecting the diplomatic places.
Also police officials announced that any protest rally in front of the Saudi embassy is forbidden.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani also condemned Saudi Arabia for killing Sheikh Nimr, but meantime, vowed to stand against all those who have attacked the Saudi embassy in Tehran after the execution.
“I condemn the inhumane measure which clearly contradicts human rights and the Islamic values and extend my condolences to the family of martyr Sheikh Nimr, the respected clerics and all Muslims,” President Rouhani said in a message on Sunday.
“By this measure, I don’t doubt that the Saudi government has distorted its image among the world states, specially the Islamic countries, more than ever,” he said, adding that the execution spreads sectarianism, terrorism and extremism in the region and the world.
Elsewhere, President Rouhani referred to the Saturday night incidents which happened in front of the Saudi embassy in Tehran by a crowd of angry people after hearing the news about Sheikh Nimr’s execution, and called on the intelligence ministry and judiciary officials to identify and arrest those culprits behind storming the Saudi mission.
He underscored that security of all foreign diplomatic missions in Iran should be fully respected, and vowed to put an end to such angry raids at diplomatic missions “once and for all”.