At least 17 people have been killed after US-led foreign forces in Afghanistan carried out separate airstrikes across the war-ravaged country during the past 24 hours, Press TV reports.
Local officials said US unmanned aerial vehicles launched two airborne attacks in Charkh district of the eastern province of Logar, situated some 70 kilometers (43 miles) south of the capital, Kabul, early on Saturday, leaving eight people dead.
Police said six other people lost their lives in a similar airstrike in Afghanistan’s northeastern province of Kunar.
Earlier on Friday, three civilians died when US-led forces conducted an airstrike in Logar Province. Two other people also sustained injuries in the incident.
The US-led forces have recently increased their air raids against civilian areas of Afghanistan.
On August 19, a drone attack in the eastern province of Ghazni left at least eleven people dead and seven others injured.
According to local officials, the airborne assault targeted the Taliban and those killed in the raid were members of the militant group.
Civilian casualties have long been a source of friction between the Afghan government and US-led forces, and have dramatically increased anti-US sentiments in the country.
The United States and its allies invaded Afghanistan in October 2001 as part of Washington’s so-called war on terror. The offensive removed the Taliban from power, but insecurity continues to rise across the country, despite the presence of thousands of US-led troops.