IranMiddle EastNorth America

Iran’s FM Zarif warns Trump against any adventurism during his last days in office

Iran’s foreign minister has warned the outgoing US President Donald Trump against any possible adventurism during his last days in office, adding that he would be responsible for all consequences of any adventurist measure against Iran.

Mohammad Javad Zarif’s Thursday warning came after Trump warned Tehran in a Twitter post that he would hold “Iran responsible” in the event of a fatal attack on Americans in Iraq.

“Our embassy in Baghdad got hit Sunday by several rockets,” the US president tweeted earlier on Thursday, adding, “Three rockets failed to launch. Guess where they were from: IRAN.”

He then circulated rumors of “additional attacks” against Americans in Iraq, warning Iran to “think it over.”

Trump was pointing to Sunday’s rocket attack on the US embassy in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad. He also attached to his tweet an unauthenticated picture of three rockets.

In response, Zarif said Trump’s accusations against Iran were “reckless” and based on “a worthless photo.”

[email protected] uses a worthless photo to recklessly accuse Iran.

Last time, the US ruined our region over WMD fabrications, wasting $7 TRILLION & causing 58,976 American casualties.

FAR WORSE this time. Trump will bear full responsibility for any adventurism on his way out. pic.twitter.com/scCeSwjUmE— Javad Zarif (@JZarif) December 24, 2020

“Last time, the US ruined our region over WMD fabrications, wasting $7 TRILLION & causing 58,976 American casualties,” he said, pointing to the US invasion of Iraq in 2003, which was based on the claim that Iraq possessed an active weapons of mass destruction program.

“FAR WORSE this time,” Zarif warned. “Trump will bear full responsibility for any adventurism on his way out.”

In another tweet earlier in the day, Zarif posted a picture of Trump’s tweets between 2011 and 2013, in which he had alleged that then-President Barack Obama was after waging a war on Iran prior to the election.

“Putting your own citizens at risk abroad won’t divert attention from catastrophic failures at home,” Zarif wrote, in reference to another photo he attached to his tweet, which listed the highest daily death rates due to a single catastrophe in the last 100 years in the United States, including the one caused by the coronavirus pandemic that has even topped the 9/11 attacks.

Trump’s anti-Iran allegation followed a similar one by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, in which he blamed Iran for the rocket strike.

Also on Thursday, Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh advised Trump to avoid any tension and “dangerous adventurism” in his final days in office, saying the Islamic Republic holds the US government responsible for the consequences of any “unwise action.”

“As we have repeatedly said, attacks on diplomatic and residential buildings are rejected, and in this particular case, the finger of blame is being pointed at the United States itself and its partners and allies in the region, who are seeking to increase tensions and create new seditions,” he added.

Back to top button