An unnamed Yemeni military source told the Arabic-language al-Masirah television network that Yemeni troops and their allies fired a domestically-manufactured Zelzal-1 (Earthquake-1) ballistic missile at a gathering of Saudi mercenaries outside al-Rabu’ah town of the region on Tuesday evening, leaving several of them dead and injured.
Earlier in the day, Yemeni forces and their allies had staged an ambush against Saudi-paid militiamen in the al-Alab border crossing of the same Saudi region, killing 15 of them in the process, the media bureau of the Houthi Ansarullah movement reported.
Separately, a number of Saudi mercenaries were killed and injured when Yemeni troopers and fighters from Popular Committees carried out an offensive in Yemen’s northern province of al-Jawf.
The developments came on the same day that Saudi mercenaries lobbed more than ten mortar shells at residential neighborhoods in the al-Hawak district of the western Yemeni coastal province of Hudaydah.
There were no immediate reports about possible casualties and the extent of damage caused.
Saudi Arabia and a number of its regional allies launched the devastating campaign against Yemen in March 2015, with the goal of bringing the government of Hadi back to power and crushing the Houthi Ansarullah movement.
According to a report by the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED), a nonprofit conflict-research organization, the Saudi-led war has so far claimed the lives of about 56,000 Yemenis.
The war has also taken a heavy toll on the country’s infrastructure, destroying hospitals, schools, and factories. The UN has already said that a record 22.2 million Yemenis are in dire need of food, including 8.4 million threatened by severe hunger. According to the world body, Yemen is suffering from the most severe famine in more than 100 years.