In the second part of the interview published by the local daily As-Safir Tuesday, Hezbollah Secretary-General hailed the “unprecedented” security plan that is being implemented by security forces in the North and the Bekaa following a cabinet decision, stressing that it must be accompanied by “a comprehensive political, economic, social and developmental approach.”
“One of the key factors in the decision-making of these grand plans is the other team has returned to power. If they stayed outside the power, they wouldn’t agree upon them, but perhaps would hinder them. That’s what was going on in the past.”
“Undoubtedly, it (cabinet formation) was useful, because we were from the beginning, – and even under the mandate of PM Najib Mikati – we were very keen on the participation of the other team, but they took another option. But today, the government, joined by most of the political forces, can certainly achieve greater achievements. It may proceed slowly, but it can achieve greater achievements.”
Sayyed Nasrallah believed that the Royal Saudi ban on a range of terrorist organizations that have extensions in Lebanon is an assistant factor that would help a lot and has encouraged the other political team to be serious in this matter.
His eminence also underlined the importance of conducting “real reconciliations” between all the political movements and groups, expressing Hezbollah’s openness to dialogue, stating that the dialogue was pending due to the dispute on the former PM Saad Hariri’s cabinet.
“Conditions and atmosphere that followed that stage led to the dialogue pending. We do not want to hold any of the parties alone responsible of it.”
Regarding Hezbollah’s boycott of a National Dialogue session called for by President Michel Sleiman last week, Sayyed Nasrallah said the president was no longer able to chair such sessions in light of his recent stances.
“I think he lost the position that allows him to run a national dialogue which addresses such an important issue, i.e. that national defense strategy… We didn’t boycott dialogue when other parties boycotted it for several months, but we did not attend the talks due to the offensive remarks against the resistance made by the President regarding the tripartite formula,” he said.
“If we compared his (Sleiman) recent speeches with the Presidential oath, we would find significant divergence between speeches and between the two approaches… We are criticizing the President and not the Presidency,” Sayyed Nasrallah stated, denying any direct bilateral communication with the President.
Touching on the Presidential election, Sayyed Nasrallah said he believes the Lebanese Parliament could elect a ‘made in Lebanon’ President without being affected by foreign interference, adding that there were signs that the presidential election would take place on time.
“More than ever, local elements will be influential in the presidential election this time. Thus, we have the opportunity of having a president who is made in Lebanon,” Sayyed Nasrallah said, adding that Hezbollah will support the candidate who serves the higher national interest.
His eminence underlined that what will open the door to international or regional intervention at some point in the presidential election, is the disagreement of Lebanese political forces on the president, and thus the end of the specified and legal time.
“I can say now that we are facing a real opportunity to make a president in Lebanon, and to make a national decision of the presidential elections… But after May 25 (the constitutional date of Presidency of Lebanon), the door will open for regional and international interference.”
Sayyed Nasrallah revealed that presidency seekers are making contacts with Hezbollah as a core political force in the country.
Answering a question about that the President should represent most of Christians in Lebanon, especially the Maronites, his eminence said that Hezbollah has no problem with it.
“In previous elections, our position was clear. But the international and regional reconciliation moved the domestic affairs to another direction. In polls conducted by Bkirki, and another one conducted by “Assafir” to be published this week, General (Michel) Aoun occupied the first rank among the Lebanese and the Christians.”
“If we are in harmony with the principle of representing Maronites, this result must be respected certainly. But the problem is that some Christians who ask this matter are held responsible for this result when disbanding the arrival of the most representative figures among them to key positions in the country, including the presidency.”
“What if Hezbollah was to choose at the last minute between the vacuum and the extension, even for one year?,” Assafir journalists asked Sayyed Nasrallah.
“Our position of the extension is once and for all. The threat of Presidential vacuum may not scare the Lebanese. If political forces and parliamentary blocs couldn’t accomplish it until May 25, after May 25, every day, every hour and every minute will be a pressure on the political forces in order to elect the president… I think that this (threat of vacuum) is not going to be scary or hinder the presidential elections, but would be an element of pressure on everyone , and especially on all the political forces that do not want a vacuum,” Sayyed Nasrallah replied.
Separately, Sayyed Nasrallah commented on the developments that followed the vote of confidence for PM Tammam Salam’s cabinet, believing that the atmosphere in the new government is positive, and things are going so far with a high level of consensus and mutual understanding, and called for “completing the administrative appointments.”
More to follow…
Source: Al-Manar Website