Over 50 militants in Syria’s Homs province surrendered to the army, a member of the National Reconciliation Committee announced on Wednesday.
“The security officials with the help of the National Reconciliation Committee reviewed the case of a sum of 52 militants who handed themselves and their weapons to the Syrian authorities,” the National Reconciliation Committee member said.
The Syrian government processed and settled the cases of 691 anti-government rebels on Sunday in line with an amnesty that had earlier been granted to all militants who put down their arms.
The authorities settled the files of 675 gunmen form the Northern countryside of Daraa, as a result of the mediation efforts of the national reconciliation committees in the province.
A Police Command source in Idlib said the authorities settled the files of 16 gunmen in the province after they pledged not to commit any act that could affect the security of the homeland and citizens in the future.
In May, 200 gunmen laid down their weapons and turned themselves in to the authorities in the city of Homs after two years that they controlled the city.
Hundreds of gunmen have been laying down their weapons and turning themselves in to authorities in areas across the country.
This number seems to be on the rise as the army has been making steady gains in the battlefield against the terrorist groups, recapturing an increasing number of areas, including strategic sites, which helped cut off many of the militants’ supply routes and forced them to surrender or run away.
Several groups of militants have surrendered to the Syrian army in the Damascus Countryside in the last several months. The last one of such groups gave in to the authorities in the region in mid February.