Senior Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) officials announced that the terrorists who assassinated Zabol Prosecutor Mousa Nouri and his driver earlier this month did not pursue any political agenda and were drug-traffickers.
The IRGC Ground Force announced an hour ago that it has arrested the culprits who assassinated Nouri and his driver “in a complicated intelligence operation”.
Deputy Head of the IRGC’s Public Relations Department General Ramezan Sharif told FNA that the assailants had no political motivation and affiliation and were drug-traffickers.
“This team (of terrorists) was no way related to opposition groups,” he said.
“The terror has been conducted in relation to smuggling,” Gen. Sharif said, but declined to provide any further details.
Iran lies on a major drug route between Afghanistan and Europe, as well as, the Persian Gulf states. Since the 1979 Islamic Revolution, the Iranian police have lost nearly 4,000 of their personnel in the country’s combat against narcotics.
Also, earlier today Head of Zabol Security Council Hooshang Nazeri told FNA that “the terrorists who assassinated the Zabol Prosecutor, Mousa Nouri, and his companion have already confessed to their crime”.
The assailants killed the prosecutor of Zabol city in the Southeastern Sistan and Balouchestan province, Mousa Nouri, and his driver while they were on their way to work in the early hours of November 6.
Speaking to FNA on November 6, Head of Sistan and Balouchestan Justice Department Ibrahim Hamidi said that “at around 7:30 this morning, Mousa Nouri and his driver were killed by unknown gunmen while they were on their way to work.”
He underlined that the assailants killed them with Kalashnikov rifles after stopping their car in front of Zabol’s Amir Al-Momenin Hospital.
Last week, Iranian Police Commander Brigadier General Esmayeel Ahmadi Moqaddam announced that his forces have identified and arrested several suspects in connection with the recent assassination of the prosecutor of Zabol city and his driver.
“We have come to certain clues and our colleagues have identified and arrested some suspects (in this relation),” General Ahmadi Moqaddam told reporters.
“Once we come to the final results, we will inform the public of the details,” Ahmadi Moqaddam added.
Nazeri had also earlier told FNA that several suspects have been arrested.
“We have identified and arrested the most suspected people in relation to the recent dossiers that prosecutor Nouri has been investigating,” Nazeri told FNA.
After the assassination, the outlawed Jeish Al-Adl radical Sunni Wahhabi movement whose members had killed 14 Iranian border guards two weeks before Nouri’s terror incident, claimed responsibility for the assassination of the Zabol prosecutor.
But, Iranian officials rejected the claim, saying Jeish Al-Adl was just bluffing to boast about its power. Iranian officials said another terrorist group had most likely conducted the attack.
“Jeish Al-Adl group has claimed responsibility for the assassination of Zabol prosecutor, but it is lying and we did not want to announce this issue on TV; when the group saw that the assassination had taken place, it wanted to attribute it to itself,” Iran’s Deputy Judiciary Chief Ebrahim Rayeesi said Sunday.
He underlined that the judiciary is suspicious of the role of another group and will continue this line of probe until achieving results, adding that the public will be informed of the results once investigations end.
“This group (Jeish Al-Adl) has made mistakes in its statement; first they said that they killed one person while two people had been killed and they also gave a wrong place and wrong time for the assassination,” he said, explaining that Jeish Al-Adl couldn’t have been behind the assassination.