“Abu Dhabi has turned into an American center to harm our national security,” Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan told Al Jazeera on Wednesday.
He also warned that any US war against Iran would be against the Islamic Republic’s allies throughout the Middle East too, adding “all US military bases and forces in the region would be targeted, if Washington took the decision to go to war.”
Dehqan further cautioned the UK about the possible ramifications of its calls for a European force to allegedly escort tankers in the Strait of Hormuz.
“The UK’s proposal for a European force in the Strait of Hormuz could lead to unpredictable consequences [for London],” he stated, adding, reiterating that Tehran’s “equation in the Strait of Hormuz is that either everyone enjoys full security and exports oil or no one does,” he reiterated.
Strait of Hormuz no place for mischief: RouhaniPresident Hassan Rouhani says Iran decisively confronts any attempt at destabilizing the Persian Gulf waters.
Tensions between Iran and the UK began earlier this month, when British naval forces seized an Iranian oil tanker in Gibraltar under the pretext that it was carrying oil to Syria in violation of European Union sanctions against the Arab country. Iran has denied the claim.
‘Iran ready to form coalition with neighbors for regional security’
In another part of the interview, Dehqan announced Iran’s readiness to form a coalition with its neighbors over regional security.
He noted that the UAE has sent several missions to Iran for peace talks, adding “this U-turn is the result of their [Saudi and UAE officials’] humiliating defeats in the region.”
“Saudi Arabia and the UAE’s wise talk of ending the war in Yemen is due to their defeats” in their military campaign against the country.
An unnamed senior Emirati official told reporters on July 8 that the UAE — Saudi Arabia’s main ally in the war on Yemen — was planning a troops drawdown in what was claimed to be a shift from a military strategy to a “peace” plan instead.
Leading a coalition of its allies, Saudi Arabia invaded Yemen in March 2015 in an attempt to reinstall the former regime, which had been friendly to Riyadh, but whose officials fled the country. The aggression is estimated to have left 56,000 Yemenis dead.