The US has reportedly planned to deploy thousands of its naval and aerial forces near Libya as it mulls over military intervention in the North African country.
The US military announced on Monday that it will deploy naval and aerial forces near Libya, the Washington Post reported.
A Pentagon spokesman said various contingency plans have been taken into consideration in order to provide options and flexibility once decisions are made.
One option on the table is using NATO air power to enforce a no-fly zone over Libya. This measure, however, requires UN approval.
Also on Monday, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said, “We will continue to explore all possible options for action.”
The development comes as Libyan air force attacked ammunition depots in two separate locations south of Benghazi.
Fighting flared up Monday in Misrata, near the capital where protesters have shot down a helicopter and captured its crew.
A brutal crackdown by the regime on opposition protests that began nearly two weeks ago has left an estimated 2,000 people dead so far.
In Benghazi, many are celebrating their freedom from Muammar Gaddafi’s rule after taking control of the city.
However, many Libyans are still dying as a result of insufficient medical supplies to treat severe injuries.
Colonel Gaddafi has been in power since a military coup in 1969.
Gaddafi and his family members have been holding a tight grip on the country’s industries for the past four decades. Reports say they have hidden away a massive amount of wealth in secret foreign bank accounts.