The spokesman for the Yemeni Armed Forces, Brigadier General Yahya Saree, said in a tweet that a Qasef-2k UAV had been used in the Tuesday strike and that the aircraft hit its target accurately.
He said the attack was launched as a legitimate and natural response to Saudi Arabia’s escalating aggression against Yemen and its all-out blockade on the impoverished country.
The airport has been a frequent target of Yemeni drones over the past days.
Saudi Arabia and a number of its regional allies launched a brutal war on Yemen in March 2015.
The war was launched to suppress an uprising that had toppled a Riyadh-friendly regime.
The US-based Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED), a nonprofit conflict-research organization, estimates that the war has claimed more than 100,000 lives.
The United Nations (UN) says more than 24 million Yemenis are in dire need of humanitarian aid, including 10 million suffering from extreme levels of hunger. The world body also refers to the situation in Yemen as the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.
The Saudi war has also taken a heavy toll on Yemen’s infrastructure, destroying hospitals, schools, and factories.
Separately, Yemeni forces shot down a US MQ-9 drone over Ma’rib, the scene of heavy fighting between the Saudi-backed mercenaries and Yemeni forces.
Saree said a missile that has not been disclosed so far brought the US drone down.
Since last month, Yemeni forces have been pushing to liberate Ma’rib, the last northern stronghold of Saudi-backed militants and the capital of an oil-rich region.