The spokesman for Yemeni Armed Forces, Brigadier General Yahya Saree, said Yemeni soldiers and allied fighters hit the gathering with a domestically-developed and medium-range Qassem (Raider) ballistic missile on Thursday afternoon.
The missile hit the designated target with high precision and its explosion either killed or wounded dozens of mercenaries, the Arabic-language al-Masirah television network further quoted the general as saying.
Saree said Yemeni forces also managed to completely block the advances of Saudi mercenaries, who attempted for at least 16 hours under intense air cover.
Yemeni forces strike Saudi army positions in Najran with new missileYemeni army forces and their allies have targeted Saudi army positions in the kingdom’s Najran region with a newly-built medium-range ballistic missile.
Yemeni forces regularly target positions both inside Saudi Arabia and Yemen in retaliation for airstrikes by the kingdom.
Saudi Arabia and a number of its regional allies launched a devastating campaign against Yemen in March 2015, with the goal of bringing a former government back to power and crushing the Ansarullah movement.
The US-based Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED), a nonprofit conflict-research organization, estimates that the war has so far claimed more than 100,000 lives.
Diseases, including cancer, kill 300 children every day in Yemen: Health ministerYemen
The imposed war has also taken a heavy toll on Yemen’s infrastructure, destroying hospitals, schools, and factories. According to the United Nations, more than 24 million people are in dire need of humanitarian aid, including 10 million suffering from extreme levels of hunger.