Yemen’s Ansarullah fighters have killed dozens of Sudanese mercenaries hired by Saudi-the led coalition which is waging war against its war-torn neighbor.
According to Yemen’s Arabic-language al-Masirah satellite television network on Saturday, the Sudanese forces were killed as Yemeni forces ambushed their convoy in the northwestern province of Hajjah.
During the attack, large amounts of Saudi weaponry, including several tanks, was also destroyed.
Earlier in the day, Yemeni army troops, backed by Popular Committees’ fighters, killed an unspecified number of Saudi troopers after their vehicle came under a volley of Yemeni Katyusha rockets in the Arab kingdom’s southwestern region of Jizan.
The Yemeni military says it has killed an unspecified number of Saudi troops after it hit their vehicle with a rocket attack in Jizan.
The incident took place several hours after Saudi warplanes launched a number of airstrikes in Yemen’s northwestern province of Hajjah. In one of the airstrikes against a residential building in the town of Mastaba, at least a woman and five children lost their lives.
The Saudi aggression was launched in March 2015 in support of Yemen’s former Riyadh-friendly government and against the country’s Houthi Ansarullah movement, which has been running state affairs in the absence of an effective administration.
The offensive has, however, achieved neither of its goals despite the spending of billions of petrodollars and the enlisting of Saudi Arabia’s regional and Western allies.
The Yemeni Ministry of Human Rights announced in a statement on March 25 that the Saudi-led war had left 600,000 civilians dead and injured during the past three years.
The United Nations says a record 22.2 million people are in need of food aid, including 8.4 million threatened by severe hunger. A high-ranking UN aid official recently warned against the “catastrophic” living conditions in Yemen, stating that there was a growing risk of famine and cholera there.