Nearly two dozen women and a child have been killed in the latest round of Saudi airstrikes in Yemen as the Riyadh regime presses ahead with its atrocious campaign against the impoverished southern neighbor.
Local sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Saudi warplanes bombarded residential buildings in Talan village of Kushar district in Yemen’s northwestern province of Hajjah on Sunday afternoon, leaving 20 women and a child dead, Arabic-language al-Masirah television network reported.
The sources added that the attacks leveled five houses to the ground. Locals were looking for possible survivors under the rubble.
Saudi warplanes also reportedly targeted ambulances, preventing doctors and paramedics from reaching the area.
The leader of Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement recently said Yemeni women and children are being brutally killed by US and Western-made munitions used in the campaign.
Delivering a televised speech broadcast live from the Yemeni capital, Sana’a, on February 25, Abdul-Malik al-Houthi said, “The main goal of the enemies of Islam from the ongoing aggression against Yemen is to get full control over us. However, the most important outcome of Islam … is to protect us against slavery and exploitation.”
“The enemy has focused its primary attention on women as they hold an important position both in the family and the society. Islam brought independence to us, and freed us from the grips of reliance and dependence.”
Separately, scores of Saudi-sponsored militiamen loyal to Yemen’s former President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi were killed and injured when a powerful bomb explosion struck them as they sought to infiltrate an area in Nihm district of Yemen’s central-west province of Sana’a.
Yemeni soldiers and allied fighters from Popular Committees also pounded the positions of Riyadh’s mercenaries in Jaribat area of the country’s central province of Bayda.
Elsewhere in Ajasher desert area of Saudi Arabia’s southern region of Najran, Saudi-paid militiamen suffered losses when Yemeni troops and their allies launched a major offensive there.
Saudi Arabia and a number of its regional allies launched the devastating campaign against Yemen in March 2015, with the goal of bringing the government of Hadi back to power and crushing Ansarullah.
According to a report by the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED), a nonprofit conflict-research organization, the Saudi-led war has so far claimed the lives of around 56,000 Yemenis.
The war has also taken a heavy toll on the country’s infrastructure, destroying hospitals, schools, and factories. The UN has already said that a record 22.2 million Yemenis are in dire need of food, including 8.4 million threatened by severe hunger. According to the world body, Yemen is suffering from the most severe famine in more than 100 years.