At least four Italian soldiers have been killed and another seriously injured in an attack in western Afghanistan, Italy’s Defense Ministry says.
The US-led troops were killed in an ambush in Farah province on Saturday, a ministry statement said.
The Saturday deaths bring to 34 the number of Italian troops killed in war-ravaged Afghanistan since 2004.
Italy has stationed about 3,400 troops in Afghanistan and plans to increase the number to 4,000 by the end of the year.
According to a NATO statement, three more US-led soldiers lost their lives in separate incidents in the war-torn country on Friday.
The International Security Assistance Force said that two of the soldiers were killed in separate bomb attacks. According to the US-led military alliance, the third soldier lost his life in a militant attack.
At least 564 US-led foreign forces have been killed in Afghanistan in 2010 so far, making it the deadliest year for foreign troops since the US-led invasion and occupation of the country in 2001.