A section of Amsterdam’s Schiphol airport reopened Tuesday night after being evacuated earlier in the day on reports of a “suspicious man.”
The man, who wasn’t identified, was arrested, but Dutch police said they didn’t find any dangerous substances in his luggage.
“We got a call from someone at the airport saying there is a suspicious man. He was arrested,” police spokesman Alfred Ellwanger said.
The bomb alert came three weeks after the terrorist attacks at Brussels Airport and a subway stop in the Belgian capital, which killed 32 people and injured more than 340.
Dutch authorities have boosted surveillance at Schiphol in response to the attacks. The airport is one of Europe’s largest airline hubs, with more than 58 million passengers in 2015, the Wall Street Journal reported.
Witnesses at Schiphol posted pictures and videos on social media from the evacuation and with the bomb-disposal robot deployed on the site.
The police intervention didn’t affect flights late Tuesday, and airport activities also continued normally, outside the secure perimeter.
On Twitter, Schiphol airport said all incoming and outgoing flights were sticking to schedule on Wednesday.