The number of anti-Muslim incidents has risen sharply in France since this month’s attack on satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo, a leading Muslim group says.
The French Council for the Muslim Religion said on Friday that 128 incidents or threats against Muslims were reported from January 7 to 20.
The council went on to say this month’s number of attacks is more than all of last year’s.
On January 7, the Paris office of Charlie Hebdo were attacked, leaving 12 people dead. The shooting assault was carried out by al-Qaeda affiliates.
On January 9, police ended a hostage-taking at a supermarket in the eastern Porte de Vincennes area of Paris, killing armed hostage-taker Amedy Coulibaly, who was also a suspect in the killing of a policewoman in southern Paris a day earlier. Coulibaly killed four hostages before his death.
Muslims suffer since attacks
On Friday, the National Observatory Against Islamophobia reported that 33 acts of violence were carried out against mosques and 95 threats had been reported to authorities since the attacks took place earlier this month.
“This situation is unacceptable and we’re asking the authorities to go beyond the reassuring speeches and act to put an end to this scourge,” said the observatory’s president, Abdallah Zekri.
He added that since the report only included attacks that were reported to police, the actual tally is surely higher.