The head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) says the cameras installed at the country’s nuclear sites as part of the 2015 nuclear deal were deactivated due to the failure of the other parties to live up to their commitments.
Speaking to reporters on Wednesday on the sidelines of a meeting of the Parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Committee, Mohammad Eslami said that under regulations of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and the Safeguards Agreement, the agency’s cameras record data at Iran’s nuclear sites just like other sites across the world.
“In addition to the obligations that Iran needs to undertake under the Safeguards Agreement and it needs to be transparent, a number of cameras were installed as part of the JCPOA. However, the other parties did not honor their commitments, so there was no need to keep the cameras,” he explained.
Eslami said that a number of the cameras were damaged in the wake of recent “terrorist operations,” thus resulting in two “extremely strict and destructive” reports by the IAEA.
He, however, added that in order to clear up any ambiguity, a meeting was held with the IAEA director-general.
He expressed confidence that as a result of the meeting there would be no ambiguities left regarding the country’s peaceful nuclear program and Iran would not continue to meet those JCPOA commitments that should not continue under a law approved by the parliament.
Last week, the AEOI spokesman said since the Iranian Parliament passed the Strategic Action Plan to Counter Sanctions, the IAEA inspections in Iran have remained limited to what is allowed under the Safeguards Agreement between Tehran and the agency.
The Iranian spokesman said all inspections of the country’s nuclear facilities beyond the Safeguards Agreement have come to a halt, but the IAEA continues those inspections that fall within the framework of the Safeguards Agreement, in the usual manner.