PalestineMiddle East

‘Forty-five civilians, including 15 children, martyred during zionist ‘israeli’ onslaught on Gaza’

Forty-five civilians have been martyred and hundreds more sustained injuries as a result of the latest round of Israeli atrocities targeting the Gaza Strip, says the Palestinian health ministry.

According to official figures published by the ministry on Monday, 45 civilians, including 15 children and 4 women, have been killed and 360 others have been wounded during the three-day Israeli airstrikes on the besieged enclave.

The attacks have completely ruined 18 residential units while 71 units have been partially damaged and are currently inhabitable, the housing ministry said in a statement, adding that 1,675 other units have been partially damaged but are still habitable.

The Israeli regime launched a devastating offensive against the Gaza Strip on Friday. In response, Palestinian resistance forces fired hundreds of rockets at Israeli-occupied territories, setting off air raid sirens and sending settlers running to bomb shelters.

Fuel trucks enter southern Gaza

Israel also stopped the planned transport of fuel into Gaza before it began its airstrikes, crippling the territory’s lone power plant and reducing electricity to around eight hours per day.

However, the AFP reported on Monday that fuel trucks entered southern Gaza earlier in the day, hours after a ceasefire deal came into effect between the Palestinian Jihad movement and Israeli authorities.

The trucks passed from Israel through the Kerem Shalom goods crossing to southern Gaza, an AFP journalist at the crossing said.

Brokered by Egypt, that agreement was a bid to put an end to the three days of deadly conflict and included the occupation’s commitment to release the two prisoners, Khalil Al-Awadeh and Bassam Al-Saadi.

UN’s Guterres welcomes ceasefire

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres welcomed the announcement of the ceasefire and commended Egypt for its efforts carried out in close coordination with the UN to help restore calm.

Guterres also extended his condolences to the victims of the violence and their loved ones, his office said in a statement.

“He is deeply saddened by the loss of life and injuries, including children, from airstrikes in Gaza and the indiscriminate firing of rockets toward Israel from population centers in Gaza by Palestinian Islamic Jihad and other militant groups,” it added.

Calling on all sides to observe the ceasefire, Guterres reaffirmed the UN’s commitment to the achievement of a two-state solution based on relevant United Nations resolutions.


Back to top button