A convoy of US forces has come under attack in Afghanistan’s eastern province of Nangarhar, reports say.
According to media reports, the incident took place in Behsud district on Sunday after a bomber detonated his explosives as US forces were returning to their base in Jalalabad.
Afghan officials said six US soldiers were wounded in the attack and their vehicle was destroyed. However, the Taliban militant group, which has claimed responsibility for the assault, said it killed the six soldiers.
Taliban has stepped up its attacks against the Afghan government, foreign forces and civilians. The group has vowed to escalate the attacks on Afghan forces and US-led troops, their bases, diplomatic missions and vehicle convoys.
Last month, Taliban’s leader in Afghanistan Mullah Mohammad Omar warned against the presence of US-led troops in the country after 2014, saying it means more fighting.
“We believe the war in Afghanistan will come to an end when all foreign invaders pull out of Afghanistan,” he said in an online message on July 25.
The United States and its allies invaded Afghanistan in 2001 as part of Washington’s so-called war on terror. The offensive removed the Taliban from power, but insecurity continues across the country despite the presence of thousands of US-led troops.
The US-led war in Afghanistan, which has caused record-high civilian and military casualties, has become the longest military conflict in US history.