Hezbollah leader says the Lebanese resistance movement will not accept any accusations against its members over the assassination of Lebanon’s former premier.
“Whoever thinks the resistance could possibly accept any accusation against any of its jihadists or leaders is mistaken — no matter the pressures and threats,” Seyyed Hassan Nasrallah said in a speech on the occasion of Hezbollah Martyr’s Day on Thursday.
Rafiq Hariri was killed alongside more than 20 other people in a massive car bomb blast in Beirut on February 14, 2005.
The Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL) was set up by the United Nations and the Lebanese government in May 2007 to investigate the murder. The tribunal is expected to announce its findings by the end of 2010.
“Whoever thinks that we will allow the arrest or detention of any of our jihadists is mistaken,” AFP quoted Nasrallah as saying, adding that his political rivals are “in a hurry to see an indictment” in the five-year-old case.
Nasrallah said in July that he had been informed by the slain leader’s son and successor, Saad Hariri, that the court “will accuse some undisciplined [Hezbollah] members.”
He rejected the allegation and warned that the plot was part of “a dangerous project that is targeting the resistance.”
Nasrallah also warned that the court had led Beirut to a “sensitive place,” saying it was aimed at inciting division in the country.
Western-backed parties in Lebanon accused Syria and the Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah of involvement in Hariri’s murder, a claim rejected by both Damascus and Hezbollah.
In September, Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri admitted to have wrongly accused Syria of being behind his father’s assassination and acknowledged that the accusations were politically charged.