A top Iranian commander has warned that in the event of a US-led military attack on Iran, the Islamic Republic will go after the United States until its “annihilation.”
“If Americans attempt to launch an attack against the sacred establishment of the Islamic Republic, they will encounter our firm and decisive defense and we will not let them off,” commander of the anti-aircraft post of the Khatamolanbia Headquarters Brigadier General Ahmad Miqani said Saturday.
He went on to add that the US had been issuing threats against Iran for the past 31 years and “such threats are propaganda and psychological warfare.”
“Over the past decade the US has militarily attacked Iraq and Afghanistan and killed hundreds of thousands of people but in the end it suffered defeat,” Brig. Gen. Miqani was quoted by IRNA as saying.
The remarks come after Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Mike Mullen said on Sunday the US military is prepared to risk a potentially devastating war in order to stop Iran from building nuclear “weapons.”
The US, which possesses and has used nuclear weapons in the past, accuses Iran of pursuing a military nuclear program. Tehran rejects the charges, arguing that as a signatory to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and the International Atomic Energy Agency it has the right to use nuclear technology.