A working group in Iran is preparing a suit to see into the United States’ seizure of the nation’s assets, a top Foreign Ministry official says.
Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs Abbas Araqchi made the announcement while speaking at an event in Kharazmi University in Tehran on Sunday.
“The government has formed a special working group in this regard,” he said, adding, an investigation was being conducted.
Iranian lawyers are pondering on “how to deal with the seizure of two billion dollars of Iranian assets,” Araqchi said.
He further commented on the US purchase of heavy water from Iran.
“The US has applied for 32 tons of Iran’s heavy water. We are also in negotiations with Russia over the same amount,” said the high-ranking official, noting the deal with the US had been clinched.
He also said Iran “still continues production of heavy water” and is in talks to sell “around 40 other tons” of the highly sought-after product.
His remarks came as anti-Iran measures were underway in the US Congress to undermine efforts by the Democratic administration of President Barack Obama after negotiations that led to the nuclear deal with Tehran last year, with five other states in attendance.
Last month, the US government completed an $8.6-million deal to buy 32 metric tons of heavy water from Iran. On Wednesday, 251 American lawmakers voted for a bill that would prohibit such purchases next year. The measure is yet to be approved by the US Senate.