Palestine

Palestinian teenage boy succumbs to wounds sustained in Gaza border clashes

 

A Palestinian teenager has died after succumbing to wounds he sustained at an anti-occupation protest near the border between the besieged Gaza Strip and Israeli-occupied territories.

Spokesman for the Gaza Ministry of Health, Ashraf al-Qidra, said in a statement that 17-year-old Montaser Mohammed Ismail al-Baz succumbed to his Israeli-inflicted gunshot wounds at al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza City on Tuesday evening.

He had been shot and injured in the head during a “Great March of Return” demonstration east of Deir al-Balah city, located over 14 kilometers (8.7 miles) south of Gaza City.

Palestinian sources said Israeli snipers were targeting the Palestinian protesters, shooting five of them in the foot and abdomen.

The sources added that a series of explosions were also heard in the area.

A Palestinian protester waves a national flag during a demonstration on the beach near the maritime border with Israeli-occupied territories, in the northern Gaza Strip, on October 22, 2018. (Photo by AFP)

 

The development came only a day after Israeli forces attacked hundreds of peaceful Palestinian protesters, who were taking part in a march in the Gaza Strip northern town of Beit Lahiya to protest the 12-year-long Israeli-imposed blockade on the coastal enclave. Dozens of people were struck with live bullets.

Nearly 210 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces ever since anti-occupation protest rallies began in the Gaza Strip on March 30. Over 22,000 Palestinians have also sustained injuries.

The Gaza clashes reached their peak on May 14, on the eve of the 70th anniversary of Nakba Day (Day of Catastrophe), which coincided this year with the US embassy relocation from Tel Aviv to occupied East Jerusalem al-Quds.

On June 13, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution, sponsored by Turkey and Algeria, condemning Israel for Palestinian civilian deaths in the Gaza Strip.

Palestinian paramedics carry a wounded protester during a demonstration on the beach near the maritime border with Israeli-occupied territories, in the northern Gaza Strip, on October 22, 2018. (Photo by AFP)

 

The resolution, which had been put forward on behalf of Arab and Muslim countries, garnered a strong majority of 120 votes in the 193-member assembly, with 8 votes against and 45 abstentions.

The resolution called on UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres to make proposals within 60 days “on ways and means for ensuring the safety, protection, and well-being of the Palestinian civilian population under Israeli occupation,” including “recommendations regarding an international protection mechanism.”

It also called for “immediate steps towards ending the closure and the restrictions imposed by Israel on movement and access into and out of the Gaza Strip.”

Back to top button
Close