The next round of talks between Iran and the six world powers will be held in the Turkish city of Istanbul late in January, media reports said.
An unnamed Russian source told the state RIA Novosti news agency on Thursday that the next meeting between Iran and the Group 5+1 (the five permanent UN Security Council members plus Germany) has been provisionally scheduled for the end of January in Istanbul which hosted the first round of such talks in April 2012.
The source; however, did not name a specific date, press tv reported.
On Wednesday, Russia urged Tehran and the Group 5+1 to finalize their decision on the place and date of their future negotiations and resume talks as soon as possible.
Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said on Wednesday that months after the negotiations between Tehran and the five permanent members of the UN Security Council – Russia, China, Britain, France and the United States – plus Germany in Moscow, the sides have so far failed to reach an agreement on the venue or the date of the next round of talks.
“This becomes unclear and sends a wrong signal,” the diplomat added, and emphasized that the issue should be made clear soon.
Ryabkov stated that during the Christmas holidays, Moscow proceeded with efforts to organize a schedule for Iran-P5+1 talks and expected a clear result as soon as possible.
The last round of talks between Iran and the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany was held in Moscow in June.
Last week, Iran’s top negotiator in talks with the world powers Saeed Jalili said Tehran and the Group 5+1 would resume talks later this month, although the place and date for the negotiations have not been finalized.
Jalili told reporters in New Delhi that Tehran has agreed to a new round of talks this month.
“We have accepted that these talks should be held in January … but till now the details have not been finalized,” he said.