The Lebanese Arabic-Language al-Akhbar newspaper said on Wednesday that the Syrian government made the decision because the country’s envoys have been facing increasing limitations for extending their stay and receiving visas for new embassy staff in Riyadh and Kuwait City.
AFP quoted a diplomatic source as saying that Saudi Arabia and Kuwait have been refusing to accredit the diplomats sent by Damascus since the start of the crisis in Syria.
Syria has been gripped by deadly violence since 2011. Some sources say around 130,000 people have been killed and millions displaced due to the violence fueled by Western-backed militants.
Saudi Arabia, along with Qatar and Turkey, are viewed as major supporters of militants fighting against the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
Last month, reports said that the Al Saud regime has relieved its spymaster, Prince Bandar bin Sultan, of his duties in leading the kingdom’s mission in the Syrian crisis.
According to recent reports, Saudi Arabia has assigned Interior Minister Prince Mohammed bin Nayef to lead Riyadh’s anti-Damascus policies instead of Prince Bandar, who has been a staunch supporter of Takfiri militants operating against Syria.