Taliban militants claim they have shot down a chopper belonging to the US-led military forces in the eastern Afghan province of Kunar.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the helicopter went down in Kunar on Sunday. He added that the chopper was hit during an anti-militant offensive in the volatile region.
He claimed that several US-led soldiers were killed in the attack.
The US-led alliance has yet to comment on the incident. American soldiers make up the majority of the foreign forces stationed in the east and south of Afghanistan.
This comes after NATO announced eleven US-led foreign soldiers have been killed in southern and eastern Afghanistan over the past 24 hours.
The Taliban claim their militants have shot down several aircraft and NATO choppers in different parts of Afghanistan over the past few months.
On October 12, a cargo plane carrying supplies for the US-led forces in Afghanistan crashed into the mountains near Kabul, with all nine crew members onboard being killed.
Nine US soldiers were also killed in a chopper crash in September.
The developments also come as Taliban militants have been making inroads in different parts of Afghanistan.
At least 641 foreign troops have lost their lives in Afghanistan so far, making 2010 the deadliest year for US-led forces since the 2001 invasion of the country.
The war in Afghanistan has become the longest in US history. With civilian and military casualties at record highs, many question the motives in the ongoing conflict.
The rising number of the casualties among the US-led forces has increased opposition to the Afghan war in the countries which have contributed troops to the mission.
US President Barack Obama’s Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan Richard Holbrooke has said Washington has “no exit strategy” for Afghanistan.