Spokesman for the Yemeni Armed Forces Brigadier General Yahya Saree said very early on Tuesday that a new round of attacks were carried out against Abha International Airport of Saudi Arabia, where Riyadh keeps a number of its jet fighters which are used for bombarding civilian areas in Yemen.
Qassif K2 drones opened fire on hangers in the airport where Saudi sources reported at least 5 injuries.
Saree added that the attack inflicted damage on a number of Saudi warplanes, highlighting that the airport’s operations have all come to halt.
“The Saudi regime is trying to hide the fact that the attack put the airport out of operation for several hours,” the Yemeni military official underscored.
Saudi sources later admitted that the attack was carried out at around 00:35 am today.
Late on Saturday, Al-Massirah TV reported that new attacks launched by Qassif K2 drones targeted planes and military equipment in airports in Jizan and Abha.
It cited a spokesman of Yemeni armed forces as saying that the attacks had been carried out with high degree of precision and caused the air navigation system in the facilities to disrupt.
The Yemenis’ attacks against major Saudi facilities and infrastructure have intensified in recent weeks.
In mid-May, Yemeni soldiers, backed by allied fighters from Popular Committees, launched a major operation against the strategic oil facility in Saudi Arabia in retaliation for the Riyadh regime’s devastating military aggression and siege of the impoverished country. Following the attack, Saudi Arabia stopped pumping crude oil on the major pipeline across the country. The retaliatory attack also led to the rise of oil prices and fall of stock markets in Persian Gulf Arab countries.
The attack bears extra significance at this stage of the war because the Yemeni forces could fly armed drones so far and carry out precision strikes and then fly them back while evading all Saudi defenses on the way. The long-range drones open unlimited possibilities for Yemeni resistance forces, which have already surpassed all expectations by surviving the massive Saudi onslaught and mounted a potent response with an arsenal of ballistic missiles.
Yemen’s Ansarullah movement has also warned that its recent attack on a major Saudi oil facility was the start of operations against 300 vital targets in Saudi Arabia and the UAE.
The Ansarullah said its drone attack on pumping stations of the Saudi state oil company Aramco was the start of operations against 300 vital targets. The group added that other planned targets include military headquarters and facilities in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
Saudi Arabia has been striking Yemen since March 2015 to restore power to fugitive president Mansour Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh. The Saudi-led aggression has so far killed more than 20,000 Yemenis, including hundreds of women and children. Despite Riyadh’s claims that it is bombing the positions of the Ansarullah fighters, Saudi bombers are flattening residential areas and civilian infrastructures.
Yemen is the world’s largest humanitarian crisis with more than 22 million people in need and is seeing a spike in needs, fueled by ongoing conflict, a collapsing economy and diminished social services and livelihoods. The blockade on Yemen has smothered humanitarian deliveries of food and medicine to the import-dependent state.
The UN has repeatedly criticized the Saudi-UAE-led military coalition’s bombing campaign and placed it on a blacklist of child rights violators last year.
A UN panel has also compiled a detailed report of civilian casualties caused by the Saudi military and its allies during their war against Yemen, saying the Riyadh-led coalition has used precision-guided munitions in its raids on civilian targets.