“Experts in the US think-tanks had better review the unforgettable lessons of their repeated failures against the Islamic Republic instead of hatching plots to confront the Islamic Republic of Iran’s might,” General Moussavi said, addressing the Army commanders and cadets in Tehran on Tuesday.
He underscored that the Iranian people will not allow foreigners to decide their security, and said that the country’s Armed Forces will stand against all threats and will give a crushing response to them.
“Were the enemy aware of our defense power, it would never talk to the Islamic Republic with the language of force,” General Moussavi said.
In relevant remarks earlier today, Iranian Navy Commander Rear Admiral Hossein Khanzadi described the Strait of Hormuz as a part of Iran’s national interests, saying that the US sanctions would definitely affect the functioning of the strategic oil lifeline.
“Certainly, the cruel sanctions against Iran will leave impact on the performance of the Strait of Hormuz and we should know that the decisions made in the international environment will not affect just one country as the moves made by others are also effective,” Rear Admiral Khanzadi told reporters in a press conference in Tehran on Tuesday.
“The Strait of Hormuz is part of the Islamic Republic of Iran’s interests and the Navy has so far established security in the Strait of Hormuz and its security will be maintained from now on too,” he added.
Rear Admiral Khanzadi said that the functioning of the Strait of Hormuz depends on the moves made by the international community based on its undertakings in agreements with Iran and the fact that Iran’s national interests should be met, adding, “We assess the US measures but they do not affect our decisions, and our decisions are based on the orders of the Commander-in-Chief of Armed Forces (Supreme Leader).”
Also, last Wednesday, Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari downplayed the US threat against Iran’s crude exports, and threatened that Tehran is in control of the world’s major energy lifelines.
“They only speak and do not dare to confront Iran at all,” General Jafari said, addressing the IRGC commanders in the Southern city of Shiraz.
He described Washington’s threats to zero down Iran’s oil exports within the next few months as “a fully ridiculous behavior”.
“It seems that they do not know that all bottlenecks for transferring oil are under the control of Iran, which will shut them off to world’s oil exports any moment it decides,” General Jafari said.
US President Donald Trump announced on May 8 that Washington would no longer remain part of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) and promised to re-impose the highest level of economic sanctions against Iran.
The sanctions reinstated on Iran on May 8 included boycott of Iran’s crude supplies and bans on transfer of its crude revenues. There is a 180 days interval before these sanctions come into effect. Other US secondary sanctions are reinstated this month.
After Trump’s declaration, the Iranian government issued a statement, calling the US withdrawal as “unlawful”. The statement underlined Iran’s prerequisites for continuing the deal with the five world powers. These conditions that were reiterated later by Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei later mainly included Iran’s guaranteed crude sales and transfer of its revenues back home.
Two months later, the other five powers party to the nuclear deal have failed to satisfy Iran. President Hassan Rouhani voiced his disappointment over a recent package of incentives proposed by the European Union countries to Tehran, and said that the Islamic Republic expected a much better, clearer and explicit stance by the EU.
“Unfortunately, the EU’s package of proposals lacked an operational solution and a specific method for cooperation, and featured just a set of general commitments like the previous statements by the European Union,” President Rouhani said in a telephone conversation with German Chancellor Angela Merkel on July 5.
President Rouhani pointed to US’ unilateral withdrawal from the nuclear deal, and said, “After the US withdrawal from the JCPOA, Iran has been dealing with economic issues and problems in banking relations and oil, and foreign companies that have invested in Iran are skeptical about continuing their business.”
The Iranian president, however, said that the package proposed by the three European countries (the UK, Germany, and France) on how they are going to live up to their commitments and cooperation under the JCPOA was “disappointing”.
President Rouhani reiterated that the JCPOA was a mutual commitment, and said, “Iran had expected a clear plan from the three European countries after the two months’ time they have been given to come up with solid guarantees to ensure Iran’s economic interests would continue to be met despite US pullout and reinstatement of sanctions.”
The Iranian president, however, said that Tehran would continue cooperation with Europe if the outcome of the July 6 Vienna talks would be promising.
“If the process of the European foreign ministers’ meeting in Vienna, which is aimed at encouraging Iran to cooperate, is promising, we will continue our cooperation with Europe,” Rouhani added.
But the Vienna talks July 6 among foreign ministers from Iran and the five world powers (Russia, China, Germany, France and Britain) failed to satisfy Iran with senior officials in Tehran complaining that the Europeans had offered nothing new to ensure Iran’s continued merits under the deal.
On July 8, the Iranian parliament’s research center has readied a comprehensive plan that includes a detailed list of policies and moves to fight off sanctions as Washington sped up attempts to rally international support for intensified pressures on Tehran.
The comprehensive “active anti-sanctions plan” that has been compiled at the parliament research center after long studies and consultations with experts from Iranian research and academic centers, traders and entrepreneurs is now under study by senior Judiciary, Parliament and Government officials for a final editing.
The program that mainly aims to make the country “unsanctionable” has been developed in contrast to the US sanctions program and has reportedly been edited seven times so far, several MPs told FNA.
Information obtained by FNA reveals the program offers a package that also involves social and cultural measures to reinvigorate the country’s economy and infrastructure against the US sanctions that come into effect from 90 to 180 days after their re-imposition and seek to wear off Iran’s economy step-by-step.
The plan also entails specific time-based nuclear, security and political leverages that would be enforced in reprisal for enemy threats, while it also envisages transient waivers that could be extended, halted or annulled based on relevant decisions by authorities.
The plan to make Iran sanction-proof includes detailed measures in two 90-120 days and 180-210 days periods in various areas of monetary, banking and currency sector, liquidity management and deterring middlemen disruption and negative interference, optimized forex reserves management, facilitated money transfer in the international market, reduction of intermediary currency role, strategic commodities, budget resources and use, energy, business, trade, structures, culture, society, media and legal affairs.
Meantime, several other plans have also been compiled by university and research centers for improving economy through reinvigoration of national potentials to make the country sanctions-proof.