The Iranian Foreign Ministry in a statement on Thursday called on the Iranian nation to condemn the US attempts to revive “peace talks” between Israel and the Palestinians in the International Quds Day rallies on Friday.
The statement issued today urged all Iranian people and other Muslims and freedom lovers elsewhere in the world to actively take part in the International Quds Day (August 2) rallies to voice opposition to the occupation of the Holy Quds, the Zionist Regime’s aggressions against Palestinians and the US efforts to resume the so-called “peace talks” between the “Zionist regime” and the Palestinians.
“These talks, within their predetermined framework, can never guarantee the interests and legitimate demands of the oppressed people of Palestine,” part of the statement read.
The last Friday of the holy month of Ramadan is dubbed as ‘the international Quds Day’ during which worldwide Muslims and non-Muslims (including anti-Zionist Jews) stage demonstrations to voice their strong protest and outrage at the occupying regime of Israel.
The International Quds Day was started by the late Founder of the Islamic Republic, Imam Khomeini, as a way of expressing solidarity with the Palestinians and underscoring importance of Quds to Muslims.
Earlier this month, US Secretary of State John Kerry claimed that he finally “convinced Israeli and Palestinian officials to return to the negotiating table.” This is while the prospects for peace appear just as unlikely as before.
Head of the Political Bureau of the Palestinian Hamas movement Khalid Mashaal had underlined in May that Washington’s efforts to restore peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians are doomed to fail since the US secretary of state has not presented any solution to the ongoing crisis.
“The US secretary of state has not presented any solution to settle the conflicts between the Palestinians and the Zionist regime and therefore the country’s efforts are doomed to fail similar to the past,” Mashaal said.
He complained that John Kerry has not adopted a serious approach to settle the Palestinian issue fairly because it has never pressured Israel as the occupier, and has just pressured the Arab sides and the Palestinian authority and presented some useless projects.
The US secretary of state has claimed to be seeking to revive direct peace talks that broke down in 2010 over the issue of Jewish settlement building in East Jerusalem and the West Bank.
He hailed the Arab League’s revised Middle-East peace initiative as “a very big step forward”.
But Palestinian Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh at the time rejected the plan, saying outsiders could not decide the fate of the Palestinians.
In the meetings held in early May in Washington, Arab states appeared to soften their 2002 peace plan, acknowledging that Israelis and Palestinians may have to swap land in any eventual peace deal.
Addressing hundreds of worshippers in a Gaza mosque, Haniyeh said it was a concession that other Arabs were not authorized to make.
“The so-called new Arab initiative is rejected by our people, by our nation and no one can accept it,” Haniyeh said.
“The initiative contains numerous dangers to our people in the occupied land of 1967, 1948 and to our people in exile.”
“To those who speak of land swaps we say: Palestine is not a property, it is not for sale, not for a swap and cannot be traded,” Haniyeh said.
Haniyeh said the Palestinian Authority, headed by Palestinian President Mahmoud