Europe

Iran condemns deadly attack on French weekly in Paris

6f450d87-01d9-484b-8247-771a4c840709

Iran has condemned a deadly attack on a weekly magazine in the French capital city of Paris, describing any terrorist action against innocent people as being against Islam’s teachings.

On Wednesday, Iran’s Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham spoke against the attack earlier in the day on the office of satirical weekly, Charlie Hebdo, in the heart of the French capital, which killed at least twelve people and injured eleven others, four of whom have been reported to be in critical condition.

The spokeswoman also condemned as unacceptable any form of misuse of freedom of speech, intellectual radicalism, and character assassination against personalities that are revered by religions and nations.

“Such behaviors are the continuation of the wave of extremism as well as physical and intellectual violence that has been spreading unprecedentedly across the world throughout the past decade…,” she added.

Earlier in the day, Rocco Contento, a Paris police spokesman, said three attackers entered the magazine’s office at around 11:30 a.m. local time (1030 GMT), carrying pump-action shotguns and Kalashnikovs.

Officials said the dead, numbering a dozen, included three cartoonists and the chief editor who had been holding a meeting when the assailants opened fire.

The attackers remained at large by early evening and no group has claimed responsibility for the shooting so far.

Charlie Hebdo has a long record of taking its satire seriously. The weekly magazine’s office was firebombed in 2011 after the publication of insulting cartoons of Prophet Mohammed (PBUH).

It is not clear who the assailants are, but the ISIL Takfiri terrorist group, which has been waging wars in Syria and Iraq, had threatened to attack France. Minutes before the Wednesday attack, the magazine had tweeted a satirical cartoon of the ISIL leader, Ibrahim al-Sammarrai also known as Abubakr al-Baghdadi.

Back to top button
Close