The Islamic Republic will agree to an extension of the nuclear talks with the P5+1 group of world countries if it believes that the negotiations can lead to a “good agreement,” the spokesman of the Iranian administration says.
In an interview with IRNA on Wednesday, Mohammad-Baqer Nobakht expressed hope that Iran and its negotiation partners would complete the nuclear talks in time and reach a “favorable” final comprehensive accord before the self-imposed June 30 deadline.
“If the good deal that is sought by the Islamic Republic is not struck and there remain obscurities that could be settled with the extension of talks, we will naturally agree to the extension,” Nobakht said.
On June 22, Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif told Press TV that reaching a good deal with the P5+1 on Tehran’s peaceful nuclear activities has priority over meeting the self-imposed June 30 deadline.
The top Iranian diplomat had earlier told the New Yorker magazine that it will not be “the end of the world” if Tehran and the six world powers fail to clinch an agreement on the final text of a nuclear deal.
Representatives from Iran and the P5+1 group – the United States, the UK, France, China and Russia plus Germany – are holding extensive talks in the Austrian city of Vienna to finalize the text of a possible deal over Tehran’s nuclear program by the end of June.
The two sides are seeking to seal a comprehensive deal based on the mutual understanding on the key parameters agreed upon in the Swiss city of Lausanne on April 2.