Iran has shown Nahid 1 (Venus 1) telecommunication satellite to journalists and photographers, refuting US President Donald Trump’s claim of the spacecraft’s failed launch.
Iranian Minister of Information and Communications Technology Mohammad Javad Azari Jahromi took the reporters on Saturday morning to a space research center, where the domestically-made satellite was showcased undamaged.
Earlier in the day, Jahromi posted a picture of himself along with the telecommunication satellite, saying, “Me & Nahid 1 right now. Good Morning Donald Trump!”
Me & Nahid I right now, Good Morning Donald Trump!
It came one day after Trump posted on Twitter a black-and-white photo of what he claimed to be a “catastrophic accident” at the launchpad in a space center in Iran’s northern Semnan Province, saying it involved Safir (ambassador) satellite-carrier rocket.
“The United States of America was not involved in the catastrophic accident during final launch preparations for the Safir SLV Launch at Semnan Launch Site One in Iran. I wish Iran best wishes and good luck in determining what happened at Site One,” Trump said.
Some media reports said that the picture showed a third failed attempt by Tehran to lift a satellite into space.
Azari Jahromi, however, took to Twitter to reject the reports, saying, “Frankly, Nahid 1 is doing well, is in the laboratory, and reporters can come visit.”