Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan say they have agreed on another ceasefire to end days of deadly clashes at their shared border.
The heads of the two Central Asian countries’ state security bodies said in a joint announcement on Saturday that they had agreed on “a full ceasefire and the pullout of forces.”
The statement said “a principal agreement was reached on … ensuring peace and stability on Kyrgyz and Tajik soil.”
“In the near future we will iron out all problems and our nations will live as always in friendship and mutual understanding, and stability will be ensured,” it added.
Clashes erupted on Wednesday, with residents on both sides of the border throwing rocks at each other over a dispute to control an irrigation canal in the region. The situation quickly escalated with border guards and other security forces on both sides exchanging gunfire.
Nearly 10,000 civilians have been evacuated from the conflict zone and relocated to temporary shelters in Kyrgyzstan’s southern Batken province.
At least 49 people have so far been killed in the clashes.
The ceasefire announcement came hours after Bishkek said Tajik troops “opened fire on dwellings” in Batken’s Leilik district on Saturday despite an earlier ceasefire that was agreed on Thursday.