Middle EastYemen

Six killed in US drone attack in Yemen

362328_Yemen-US-drones

At least six people have been killed in an airstrike carried out by a US drone in northern Yemen, tribal sources say.

The raid took place on Monday after the unmanned aircraft targeted a car near al-Husun Village in Yemen’s Marib Province.

The victims were reportedly al-Qaeda suspects.

Last month, at least 50 people were killed in three days of US drone strikes in southern Yemen.

The US administration claims that its unmanned aircraft attacks target al-Qaeda militants, but local sources say civilians have been the main victims of the non-UN-sanctioned airstrikes.

Last October, Human Rights Watch (HRW) said US drone strikes in Yemen had led to the death of many civilians over the past years in a blatant violation of international law.

In February, the rights group called on Washington to investigate a fatal drone strike on a wedding ceremony in Yemen in December, 2013. The HRW said in a report, dubbed “A Wedding That Became a Funeral: US Drone Attack on Marriage Procession in Yemen,” that the December 12, 2013 attack killed a dozen men and wounded at least 15 others, including the bride.

Back to top button
Close