Secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) hails Iranian negotiators’ transparent approach in nuclear talks with the six major world powers, and urged the Sextet no to miss the present opportunity to cut a final deal with Iran before the November deadline.
In a meeting with former French Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin in Tehran on Tuesday, Ali Shamkhani underlined Iran’s will to continue talks to attain comprehensive accord in the set time limit, and said that the West must seize the unrepeatable chance provided by Iran free from any ambition or illusion, while respecting Iran’s nuclear rights and lifting all illegal sanctions.
He further said Iran should enjoy all its nuclear rights within the frameworks of the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and will accept no discrimination to that end.
The 7th round of talks between Iran and the Group 5+1 (the five permanent UN Security Council members plus Germany) was held in New York on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly meeting last month.
The two sides held six rounds of negotiations in Vienna to reach a comprehensive deal after they inked an interim agreement in Geneva on November 24.
The Geneva agreement took effect on January 20 and expired six months later on July 20. In July, Tehran and the six countries agreed to extend negotiations until November 24 after they failed to reach an agreement on a number of key issues.