The Israeli regime has approved plans for the construction of more than 1,000 new settler units in the occupied West Bank in grave contravention of international law and a United Nations Security Council resolution against the Tel Aviv regime’s land grab policies in the occupied Palestinian territories.
Peace Now, an Israeli anti-settlement group that monitors settlement activity in the West Bank, said on Wednesday that there were plans for 1,004 units approved by a committee of Israel’s ministry of military affairs.
According to the NGO, the plans also include 370 housing units in the Adam neighborhood near the city of Ramallah.
Peace Now says 96 percent of those approved units “are in isolated settlements that Israel will likely need to evacuate within the framework of a two-state agreement.”
According to Peace Now, the number of units included in the West Bank settlement project increased to 6,742 in 2017 compared with 2,629 the previous year. Plans have been advanced for 3,794 units so far this year.
Less than a month before US President Donald Trump took office in January 2017, the United Nations Security Council adopted Resolution 2334, calling on Israel to “immediately and completely cease all settlement activities in the occupied Palestinian territories, including East Jerusalem” al-Quds.
Since the inauguration of President Trump, the regime in Tel Aviv has stepped up its construction of settler units on occupied Palestinian land in a blatant violation of international law.
About 600,000 Israelis live in over 230 illegal settlements built since the 1967 Israeli occupation of the Palestinian territories of the West Bank and East Jerusalem al-Quds.
The Palestinian Authority wants the West Bank as part of a future independent Palestinians state, with East Jerusalem al-Quds as its capital. The continued expansion of Israeli settlements is one of the major obstacles to the establishment of peace in the Middle East.