IranMiddle EastNorth America

Trump changed mind as US army told he could not attack Iran: Top cmdr.

Iran’s top military commander says US President Donald Trump called off a retaliatory strike against the Islamic Republic following the downing of an intruding American drone not for fear of so many casualties but because the US army convinced him he could not hit Tehran due to a range of reasons that could make the situation backfire.

“When the American drone was shot down, the US president came close to [carrying out] a decision [to strike Iran] but the US army shed light on the calculations and in a meeting [with Trump] they gave the US president an estimate of what would happen in the Strait of Hormuz, the Persian Gulf … and countries that act as an arm of the resistance front as well as in [the Persian Gulf] islands … in case of an attack against Iran,” Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Baqeri said on Wednesday.

He said that during the meeting with military officials, the US president was convinced “he cannot attack Iran,” adding, “This is a big lie that [Trump] was talked out of striking Iran for the lives of several hundred people.”

Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Baqeri

Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) announced on June 20 that its air defense force had shot down an intruding American spy drone in the country’s southern coastal province of Hormozgan.

In a statement, the IRGC said the US-made Global Hawk surveillance drone was brought down by its Air Force near the Kouh-e Mobarak region — which sits in the central district of Jask County — after the aircraft violated Iranian airspace.

Shortly afterwards, Iran provided the map coordinates of the precise spot where the drone was shot.

PressTV-‘Iran's deterrence power prevented US strike’

‘Iran’s deterrence power prevented US strike’Iran’s top military commander says the country’s deterrence power prevented the US from taking an action following Tehran’s downing of an intruding American drone.

Hours after the incident, the US military confirmed that one of its drones had been shot but claimed that the incident took place in international airspace.

On the same day that the drone was shot down, Trump took to Twitter to call off a retaliatory strike on targets in Iran, citing casualties. He also said later in the day he was ready to talk with Iranian officials.

“What I’d like to see with Iran, I’d like to see them call me,” Trump told reports at the White House.

Iran says its military power is solely for defensive purposes and does not pose any threat to other countries. The Islamic Republic says, however, that it will give a crushing response to any act of aggression against its territory.  

Back to top button