“Over 500 Arab and non-Arab ISIL militants have been killed since the operations kicked off in May,” Commander of Fallujah Liberation Operations major General Abdulwahab al-Saedi told reporters on Monday.
He noted that the Iraqi troops have managed to enter phase 1 of al-Shohada region in the Southern part of Fallujah after killing 42 ISIS terrorists in heavy clashes.
Earlier on Monday, it was announced that 42 members of the ISIL terrorist group were killed during the Iraqi forces’ operations to liberate the Mahallah al-Shohada Avval region in Fallujah.
The Fallujah Liberation Operations Command Center made the announcement in a statement on Monday, adding that a number of other terrorists were also wounded during the operations in the Southern parts of Fallujah.
“The Iraqi forces are now preparing to attack al-Nazal district, one of ISIS main headquarters,” the statement added.
Earlier reports said today that Iraq’s army secured the first “relatively safe” exit route for civilians attempting to flee the city of Fallujah amid operations by the government forces to retake key areas from the ISIL terrorists.
According to Brigadier General Yahya Rasoul, who is the spokesman for the Joint Military Command, an exit route, known as al-Salam (Peace) Junction, was secured southwest of the city.
“There were exit routes previously, but this is the first to be completely secure and it’s relatively safe,” media outlets quoted Rasoul as saying.
Iraqi forces have been engaged in a major offensive to free Fallujah, located in the Western province of Anbar. The large-scale push for the liberation of the city started on May 23.
Latest reports indicate that the forces have recently pushed back the terrorists from the strategic areas of Subeihat and Falahat, West of the city, FNA reported.