A source close to the presidency said Thursday Yemen reached an agreement with opposition, who have been protesting for weeks in Sana’a, to end the country’s latest political impasse.
According to Al-Alam news network, the source said, “An accord was reached… late on Wednesday” by which “a new prime minister will be named within 48 hours” and fuel prices will be further cut.
The source added In return, the opposition have agreed to “dismantle their protest camps and pull their armed men” from Sana’a and its surroundings.
Yemen’s revolutionary protesters earlier clashed with the government’s security forces near the capital Sana’a.
The clashes, which also included gunfire, broke out in the Sabaha district amid nationwide anti-government protests on Wednesday.
Earlier on Tuesday, Yemeni forces opened fire on the country’s revolutionaries and their supporters as they were marching peacefully towards the office of Yemeni Prime Minister Mohammed Basindawa in Sana’a, martyring at least seven people and injuring over 100 more.
Since August 20, Houthi activists have been holding peaceful daily rallies in Sana’a with tens of thousands taking part.