The media bureau of Yemen’s Operations Command Center announced that the defense achievements were showcased during an exhibition dubbed Martyr Saleh al-Samad — the late president of Yemen’s Supreme Political Council, who was killed in a Saudi airstrike in the western province of Hudaydah in April 2018 — in the Yemeni capital city of Sana’a on Sunday afternoon.
Among the participants in the ceremony were Chairman of the Supreme Revolutionary Committee of Yemen Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, President of the Supreme Political Council Mahdi al-Mashat, Speaker of the House of Representatives Yahya al-Ra’i, Prime Minister Abdel-Aziz bin Habtour, Deputy Prime Minister for Defense and Security Affairs Major General Jalal Al-Ruwaishan, Defense Minister Major General Mohammad Nasser al-Emati and Chief of General Staff Brigadier General Yahia Saree.
The new pieces of military hardware are as follows: Quds-1 winged missile, the high-altitude Sammad-1 (Invincible-1) reconnaissance drone, long-endurance Sammad-3 (Invincible-3) unmanned aerial vehicle as well as Qasef-2k (Striker-2k) combat drone.
Yemeni air defense units and allied fighters from Popular Committees had earlier made use of Sammad-3 and Qasef-2k drones, but they had not been put them on display until today.
Yemen drone strikes hit warplane hangars in JizanYemeni army forces and their allies have launched a string of drone strikes on warplane hangars in Saudi Arabia’s Jizan airport near the Yemeni border.
‘New hardware to change balance of power’
Mashat said the next phase of engagement with the Saudi-led military alliance against Yemen will be full of surprises, emphasizing that the new weapons will make a profound difference in the balance of power.
Emati, for his part, stated that Yemeni Armed Forces have reached an advanced stage in the field of military industries, highlighting that the newly-unveiled weapons have been successfully tested in several operations and proved their efficacy and accuracy to hit designated targets.
Yemeni forces release footage on Abu Dhabi airport strikeYemeni forces release footage of retaliatory attacks on Abu Dhabi airport.
The Yemeni defense minister further noted that the next stage of retaliatory attacks against the Saudi-led forces of aggression will be the greatest and most painful, unless the aggressors broker peace and put an end to their military campaign and siege against the Yemeni people.
“The detection, tracking and targeting capabilities of the new armament will turn a new page in the history of the Yemeni military, especially as the advanced weapons have undergone successful experimental stages and proved their effectiveness,” Saree had pointed out in a statement released on June 26.
“Yemeni armed forces are working strenuously to develop their defense capabilities to stop the (Saudi-led) aggression and lift the blockade of Yemen. This falls within the framework of our legitimate rights to defend ourselves, our country, our people, our religion and our dignity,” the senior Yemeni official said at the time.
Saudi Arabia and a number of its regional allies launched a devastating campaign against Yemen in March 2015, with the goal of bringing the government of former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi back to power and crushing the Houthi Ansarullah movement.
The US-based Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED), a nonprofit conflict-research organization, estimates that the Saudi-led war has claimed the lives of over 60,000 Yemenis since January 2016.
The war has also taken a heavy toll on the country’s infrastructure, destroying hospitals, schools, and factories. The UN says over 24 million Yemenis are in dire need of humanitarian aid, including 10 million suffering from extreme levels of hunger.