Zionist forces storm a Palestinian refugee camp in the occupied West Bank, prompting a confrontation in which a Palestinian teenager is killed.
The Palestinian Authority’s Health Ministry said on Monday that the Israeli forces carried out the raid against the Dheisheh camp in the city of Bethlehem in southern West Bank overnight.
The ministry identified the victim as 15-year-old Arkan Mizher, saying he had been shot in the chest with Israeli live fire.
The Israeli army said its forces had entered the camp and arrested two people suspected of “terror activity.”
“Soldiers fired live rounds at the protesters” during the subsequent clashes, AFP quoted an army statement as saying.
The army regularly raids the camp, saying it has to arrest “suspects,” often prompting standoffs with residents.
The situation is also tense in the besieged Gaza Strip, which recently sustained the heaviest bout of Israeli attacks since the 2014 war on the enclave.
On July 14, the Israeli regime launched its heaviest-yet bombardment of the territory since the war that killed 2,200 Palestinians.
The regime started escalating its attacks on Gaza on March 30, when Palestinians began weekly marches to assert their right of return to their homes in the occupied territory.
The United Nations and Egypt mediated a “truce,” but Israeli artillery units targeted a position of the Palestinian Hamas resistance movement only hours after the ceasefire was announced.
UN chief Antonio Guterres has called on Israel to “urgently step back from the brink of another devastating conflict.”
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres calls on Israel to avoid further inflaming the situation in the Gaza Strip.
He went on to call on all parties to cooperate with the UN to find a peaceful solution to the crisis, and avoid aggravating the “humanitarian catastrophe” in Gaza.
The territory has been under an all-out Israeli siege since 2017, turning it into an open-air prison.