FeaturedLebanonMiddle EastOthersWorld News

Hezbollah urges trial of STL perjurers

Hezbollah resistance movement has called on the Lebanese government to indict those charged with perjury in the case of the US-backed Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL).

Senior Hezbollah official Sheikh Mohammed Yazbek described STL as a US-Israel project targeting the resistance movement .

He stated that the Beirut government must reopen the case of those convicted of perjury, seeking to change the course of the Special Tribunal for Lebanon.

Former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafiq Hariri and over 20 other people were assassinated on February 14, 2005, when explosives equivalent to around 1,000 kilograms of TNT were detonated in downtown Beirut.

The Washington-sponsored STL was set up some two years later to look into the deadly incident.

The tribunal, which was authorized by a US-sponsored Security Council resolution in 2007, issued indictments and arrest warrants in June 2011 for four men identified by Lebanese officials as Hezbollah members.

Meanwhile, a report by the Lebanese officials states that the four men indicted for the killing of Lebanon’s former premier have not yet been found or detained.

“Prosecutor General Said Mirza submitted his report Tuesday. He stated that so far none of the four people who are accused have been detained,” a statement released by STL said on Tuesday.

The Secretary General of Hezbollah Seyyed Hassan Nasrallah, has dismissed the indictments as an American-Israeli plot.

Hezbollah has also repeatedly denied any role in the huge bomb blast on February 14, 2005.

Back to top button