A top Iranian commander says Iran will never permit inspection of its military sites.
“Not only will we not grant foreigners the permission to inspect our military sites, we will not even give them permission to think about such a subject,” the Fars News agency quoted Brigadier General Hossein Salami, the second-in-command of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC), as saying on a live television broadcast on Saturday.
“They will not even be permitted to inspect the most normal military site in their dreams,” he added.
He added that a harsh response awaits anyone who talks about such inspections.
“Visiting a military base by a foreign inspector would mean the occupation of our land because all our defense secrets are there. Even talking about the subject means national humiliation,” he added.
Referring to the recent events in Yemen, the top Iranian commander denounced the Saudi regime’s “inane” aggression against the impoverished country, which he said exposed the pro-Israeli stance of the Al Saud family.
Salami reiterated Iran’s political support for Yemen, stating that if required, Iran will provide the war-torn country with humanitarian aid.
There have been reports in the Western media that a final deal between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries could see Tehran allow international inspectors to visit its military sites. Tehran has categorically denied the reports, describing the reports as mere rumors and wrong interpretations of the understanding reached in early April in Switzerland.
Iran and P5+1 group – comprised of Russia, China, France, Britain, the US and Germany — reached a mutual understanding on Tehran’s nuclear program on April 2 in Switzerland. The two sides are expected to start drafting a final inclusive deal which they seek to sign by the end of June.
Saudi Arabia’s military campaign against Yemen started on March 26 — without a United Nations mandate — in an attempt to restore power to the country’s fugitive former President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh.
According to reports, over 2,600 people, including women and children, have so far lost their lives in the attacks.