“The Islamic Republic of Iran asks for no other country’s permission for the implementation of its defense strategies,” said Deputy Commander of Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Brigadier General Hossein Salami in reaction to Washington’s position on Tehran’s ability to close the Strait of Hormuz.
On Wednesday, the Bahrain-based US Fifth Fleet announced it will not “tolerate” any disruption in the Strait of Hormuz after Iran stated its forces are capable of closing the key oil route if necessary.
Brig. Gen. Salami stressed that the US is in no position to give permission to Iran, adding that the history of confrontations between Tehran and Washington have attested to this fact and the Islamic republic has managed to proceed with its strategies in the face of the US pressures.
The Strait of Hormuz is a narrow waterway and a strategic energy corridor that leads in and out of the Persian Gulf between Iran and Oman.
Iran has repeatedly warned that in the event of a military attack on the country, it will not hesitate in taking all necessary measures to protect its sovereignty one of which would be to close the strategic oil passage.
Earlier on Wednesday, Iran’s Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said, “Iran has total control over the strategic water way,” adding that, “Closing the Strait of Hormuz is very easy for Iranian naval forces.”
On Tuesday Iran’s Vice-President Mohammad Reza Rahimi also warned that not a drop of oil would be allowed to pass through the Strait of Hormuz if sanctions are imposed against Iran’s oil exports.
Iran’s Navy is currently conducting a massive 10-day naval drill, codenamed “Velayat 90”, in an area stretching from the east of the Strait of Hormuz in the Persian Gulf to the Gulf of Aden.