“We have apprehended two people who attempted to sabotage the communications system at the Guri dam in order to impede the process of (power supplies) restoration. They are being questioned”, Maduro said in his address to the Venezuelan people, Sputnik reported.
The Venezuelan president also opined that US President Donald Trump bore the most responsibility for the disruption of Venezuela’s power grid system.
“Donald Trump is a key responsible person for the cyber attack on Venezuela’s electricity system. He has said that all scenarios (with respect to Venezuela) were possible, and his marionettes and clowns in Venezuela itself echo him… A high-tech cyber attack has been carried out against Venezuela, and only the US government has the technology (needed to carry out such an attack)”, Maduro stated.
He added that the cyber attack had been localized and the relevant agencies were working to restore power supplies in the country.
The blackout swept Venezuela on Thursday as national electricity supplier Corpoelec reported about “sabotage” at the major Guri hydroelectric power plant. Media subsequently reported about power outages in 21 out of 23 Venezuela’s states. Maduro blamed the United States for waging an energy war against Venezuela, while Washington denied having a role in the crisis.